Tuesday 18 October 2016

How to Put an Mail on Hold

I went to my PO today to see if there was any mail for me to pick up in case there had been a day or two it was held. They had none for me to get. I asked to speak with the post master there and they aren't available but I got to speak to the supervisor. I've seen him before as sometimes he follows my regular carrier and I usually meet her at the curb if I'm home. I explained the situation from last week and also from past hold mail experiences. He told me my carrier is now on vacation and checked her hold mail section and found it in one huge pile. Told me it's wrong and he will talk to her about it.
I also said I did the hold online AND filled out the yellow card. He said that he can't access anything online because when Sony got hacked they also hacked all the USPS servers but it hasn't been released to the media yet that it happened (sounded like BS to me). So that was the reason the online didn't work. He said there was no reason that the yellow card didn't hold it.
Should I go ahead with contacting USPS customer service through online or phone still or just take the word of the supervisor? I don't really feel comfortable putting in another hold mail as they have Bern successful 0 times so far over the past 5 years..

usps holidays

Earlier this year over the summer I put my mail on hold as we were going away for 4 weeks. We returned to a mail stuffed box and mail on the ground around my box. Some subscription services where we get monthly packages were missing. Went to my P.O. to look for the packages and find out why my mail wasn't held. They had no packages and said it wasn't held because I don't have a permanent carrier every day and temporary carriers don't do the hold mail sorting. Also the desk person told me holding online is not reliable.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago. We're preparing to go out of town for a few weeks over the holidays. I go in person yo the P.O to hold my mail. Fill out the yellow card and hand it to the worker at the counter. They took it and told me next time I should do the hold online. I started the hold to take effect the day before we're leaving to make sure it worked. (Now I've got a regular carrier) She stopped to deliver my mail. I went out and asked about my hold. She hasn't seen anything but fills out the yellow hold mail form she has with her and had me sign and verify it. She then tells me that she is going out of town for my hold mail period but will make sure it is followed.

We came home yesterday to our overflowing mailbox again.
Who do I need to talk to about this? My neighbors report the same issues with the service. Something at my post office isn't working as intended and I'd like to be able to trust them holding my mail while I'm away not only to keep prying hands out of my mailbox but also to not have a billboard of an overfull mailbox announcing that no one is home.

1 comment:

  1. I visit your site it is very informative. If you want to join Online KBC kbc lottery number check visit us.

    ReplyDelete